- Democracy is about our bodies, not just our minds
- What’s your motivation: is it yourself or the change you’re making?
- Mind over matter: The world of abstraction is driving us to destruction
- The real threats to our liberty and survival
- Avoiding the abyss of conspiracy theories
- The difference between a legal system and a fantasy novel
- What’s a conspiracy and what’s just common garden variety corruption?
- Unpredictability, humility and an emerging anthropandemic
- The trilemma – climate change, economic collapse, and rising fascism
- Happy New Normal for the decade ahead
- Fires, liars and climate deniers
- The race to the bottom in australian politics
- Talking about lock-on devices – an article in ‘The Conversation’
- The Ponzi scheme is teetering
- Regenerative culture a key part of the blockade experience
- Staying sane in the late Anthropocene
- Extinction Rebellion
- Major parties have failed on climate, it’s time to rebel.
- Elections In The Late Anthropocene
- It is the Greens that are defeating the Nats and it’s all about your preferences
- Australia’s powerhouse of democracy and innovation is in the Northern Rivers
- Is identity politics a problem for the left?
- The climate emergency and the awful state of Australian politics
- Liberty, freedom and civil rights? Do any of us understand these things anymore.
- Democracy and rights under threat in corporate police state
- The forest wars are back, time to mobilise
- …more commentary
- News & Events
- Activism educator Aidan Ricketts explains how and why protests can be peaceful
- Bob Brown Is Taking “Shocking” Anti-Protest Laws To The High Court
- Anti protest laws could arrest nannas, seize tractors
- “They blinked first”
- Colin Barnett quick to protest against ‘activism degrees’ – The Australian, 16/10/2014
- ‘Degrees in activism’ put brake on growth – The Australian, 15/10/2014
- Magistrate throws out vexatious police case against CSG protesters
- Outrage over school PR ‘by stealth’- The Northern Star
- CSG clash a certainty
- Communities use new tactics
- Gas group attacks lecturer
- …more media
- Activist Resources
Public Interest Advocacy (PIA) (LAW 10160)Continue Reading →
My university–accredited activist training course is on again this December, 2019. It’s based on my book The Activists Handbook. It runs as a 5 day workshop at the Gold Coast campus of SCU, adjacent to Coolangatta Airport.
If you are a uni student (any uni […]
Continue Reading →
Reboot is for anyone asking big questions about what’s wrong with our society and what we, together, can do about it. The Greens are excited to bring together great speakers and big topics and want you to join in. Help us maintain our grassroots democratic approach to social change and develop our principles of peace, sustainability and social justice.
What an inspiring beacon of local democracy the Bentley blockade has turned out to be.Continue Reading →
Like any conflict there is the immediate issues and then there are the wider ramifications. What appears on the surface to be simply a dispute about a speculative gas explorer gaining access to a drilling site is […]
Continue Reading →
Aidan Ricketts is an experienced social and environmental activist as well as a prominent activism educator, academic and writer. Aidan has written for many academic journals and is author of “The Activists’ Handbook”. He is also a lecturer with the School of Law and Justice at Southern Cross University.
AIDAN RICKETTS: I end up asking the question, you know, someone, presumably in Sydney, was so desperate to secure a conviction in this case that they pulled out all stops, decided to use a previously unheard of charge and proceed through successive prosecution. I mean, I think the big burning political question […]
Continue Reading →
This workshop offers a unique opportunity to hear from activists and lawyers, from Australia, the USA and Ecuador who are using new organising frameworks to successfully protect their natural and human communities.
Southern Cross University is proud to offer this ground breaking course in Public Interest Advocacy and social change activism as part of its innovative Byron Bay Summer Law School initiative.Continue Reading →
The unit “Public Interest Advocacy” is […]
Lock The Gate is very proud and excited to be launching this stunning short video that is a teaser for the release of their two ground-breaking new films: Undermining Australia and Fractured Country.Continue Reading →
The two documentaries capture in stark terms the personal heartache of Australians whose […]
More than 28,000 self-proclaimed Destroyers have ‘liked’ Destroy the Joint – a Facebook page that ‘shines a light on sexism and misogyny.’ While social media may provide a platform for participative activism, social commentator Jane Caro, comedian Stella Young, and activist Aidan Ricketts join Sushi Das from The Age to ponder […]
Once Australia grew rich on the sheep’s back, now rocks and minerals carry the economy. It’s no secret that mining has a major impact on the […]
When: Sat July 13th, 2013, 11.30am – 4pm
Where: Stokers Siding Community Hall
With: Aidan Ricketts (author of The Activists Handbook) & Simon Clough (Lismore Shire Councillor)
Lock the Gate and Stop CSG Tara presents…
Stop CSG Tara has been forced to take action against QGC/BG Group after continued mishandling of residents legitimate concerns regarding health and environmental authority breaches. Our actions will include gas field tours […]