- If nothing changes nothing will change: the Voice referendum
- What can we learn from disaster communities?
- New year, a time to embrace the uncertainty of it all
- We could be non-binary
- Adaptive resilience vs safety paternalism
- Left wing, right wing? What just happened to politics?
- Covid, class and the addiction to certainty
- Neoliberalism, the Life World and the Psychopathic Corporation
- Democracy is about our bodies, not just our minds
- What’s your motivation: is it yourself or the change you’re making?
- Mind over matter: The world of abstraction is driving us to destruction
- The real threats to our liberty and survival
- Avoiding the abyss of conspiracy theories
- The difference between a legal system and a fantasy novel
- What’s a conspiracy and what’s just common garden variety corruption?
- Unpredictability, humility and an emerging anthropandemic
- The trilemma – climate change, economic collapse, and rising fascism
- Happy New Normal for the decade ahead
- Fires, liars and climate deniers
- The race to the bottom in australian politics
- Talking about lock-on devices – an article in ‘The Conversation’
- The Ponzi scheme is teetering
- Regenerative culture a key part of the blockade experience
- Staying sane in the late Anthropocene
- Extinction Rebellion
- Major parties have failed on climate, it’s time to rebel.
- Elections In The Late Anthropocene
- It is the Greens that are defeating the Nats and it’s all about your preferences
- Australia’s powerhouse of democracy and innovation is in the Northern Rivers
- Is identity politics a problem for the left?
- The climate emergency and the awful state of Australian politics
- Liberty, freedom and civil rights? Do any of us understand these things anymore.
- Democracy and rights under threat in corporate police state
- The forest wars are back, time to mobilise
- …more commentary
- News & Events
- A Flood of Emotions – Sydney Ideas Event
- Participatory democracy in the COVID era – SCU podcast
- Activism educator Aidan Ricketts explains how and why protests can be peaceful
- Bob Brown Is Taking “Shocking” Anti-Protest Laws To The High Court
- Anti protest laws could arrest nannas, seize tractors
- “They blinked first”
- Colin Barnett quick to protest against ‘activism degrees’ – The Australian, 16/10/2014
- ‘Degrees in activism’ put brake on growth – The Australian, 15/10/2014
- Magistrate throws out vexatious police case against CSG protesters
- Outrage over school PR ‘by stealth’- The Northern Star
- CSG clash a certainty
- Communities use new tactics
- Gas group attacks lecturer
- …more media
- Activist Resources
This January/February, change-makers of all ages, cultures and social backgrounds will be meeting at the Marion Bay Falls Festival site in Tasmania for a social justice conference like nothing else.
Falls Festival Site – Marion Bay – Tasmania
Newkind is an annual social justice conference designed to inspire and empower participants to create positive social change in the world. Over 5 days in Marion Bay in Tasmania, we host discussion panels, lectures, workshops and skill development sessions focused on upskilling YOU to become a more effective and connected agent of change.
Newkind 2020 will bring academics, activists, community builders and social entrepreneurs together, to give you the most life-changing experience you have ever had. Meet legends from around the world, get connected, get inspired, and move forward empowered with the tools you need to change this world for the better!
Newkind is the education we should have received but never did. And you can view the whole program now on the Newkind Festival website Check out the program and don’t miss your chance to be there.
Falls Festival Site – Marion Bay – Tasmania
29 January – 2nd February 2020
All meals, drinks and ground transport from Hobart airport included with all tickets.
Just be sure to bring your keep cup, your reusable water bottle and a mind that is open and eager to learn.
I’ll be involved in the following sessions:
- Thursday 30 January 11am: Workshop: Sustaining Activism: Keeping Going in Dark Times.
- Thursday 30 January 4:30 pm Lecture: Australia’s anti-protest laws: A brittle response to a climate emergency
- Morning Keynote: Friday 31 January 9 am
Book or view the program below
For more information see: https://www.newkindfestival.com