- Talking about lock-on devices – an article in ‘The Conversation’
- The Ponzi scheme is teetering
- Regenerative culture a key part of the blockade experience
- Staying sane in the late Anthropocene
- Extinction Rebellion
- Major parties have failed on climate, it’s time to rebel.
- Elections In The Late Anthropocene
- It is the Greens that are defeating the Nats and it’s all about your preferences
- Australia’s powerhouse of democracy and innovation is in the Northern Rivers
- Is identity politics a problem for the left?
- The climate emergency and the awful state of Australian politics
- Liberty, freedom and civil rights? Do any of us understand these things anymore.
- Democracy and rights under threat in corporate police state
- The forest wars are back, time to mobilise
- …more commentary
- News & Events
- Bob Brown Is Taking “Shocking” Anti-Protest Laws To The High Court
- Anti protest laws could arrest nannas, seize tractors
- “They blinked first”
- Colin Barnett quick to protest against ‘activism degrees’ – The Australian, 16/10/2014
- ‘Degrees in activism’ put brake on growth – The Australian, 15/10/2014
- Magistrate throws out vexatious police case against CSG protesters
- Outrage over school PR ‘by stealth’- The Northern Star
- CSG clash a certainty
- Communities use new tactics
- Gas group attacks lecturer
- …more media
- Activist Resources
The Activists’ Handbook
The Activists’ Handbook is a powerful guide to grassroots activism. A priceless resource for everyone ready to make a difference, environmental activist Aidan Ricketts offers a step-by-step handbook for citizens eager to start or get involved in grass-roots movements and beyond.
Providing all essential practical tools, methods and strategies needed for a successful campaign and extensively discussing legal and ethical issues, this book empowers its readers to effectively promote their cause. Lots of ready-to-use documents and comprehensive information on digital activism and group strategy make this book an essential companion for any campaign. Including case studies from the US, UK, Canada and Australia, this is the ultimate guidebook to participatory democracy.
In this accessible text, Ricketts generously shares insights and wisdom he’s gained through twenty years of dedicated activism. His legal training and experience are the real strength to this manual. Too few community activists use the law to its potential and Aidan advocates creative and powerful legal strategies. ~ James Whelan, director, The Change Agency
The biggest problem in the world is not hunger, disease, conflict or corruption. It is apathy – the fact that we see all these problems around us and we do nothing. This handbook shows us that something can be done through organising and action, and shows us how to do it. Now it’s up to us. ~ Michael Norton, author, 365 Ways to Change the World.
Table of Contents
- Activism, advocacy and the practice of democracy
- Building successful social movements
- Strategy: The art of activism
- Planning and mapping your campaign: practical tools and processes
- Media, publicity and research
- Public sector activism: How to change the law and influence government policy
- Corporate Activism
- Direct action, protest and your rights
- Digital Activism
- Strategic Litigation
- Social change and conflict resolution
- Empowerment and personal sustainability: Staying active and avoiding burnout
$28 postage included
If you have been referred to this site from another social change organisation, select them below then click the ‘Add to Cart’ button. 10% of each sale will go to the nominated organisation.