- The real threats to our liberty and survival
- Avoiding the abyss of conspiracy theories
- The difference between a legal system and a fantasy novel
- What’s a conspiracy and what’s just common garden variety corruption?
- Unpredictability, humility and an emerging anthropandemic
- The trilemma – climate change, economic collapse, and rising fascism
- Happy New Normal for the decade ahead
- Fires, liars and climate deniers
- The race to the bottom in australian politics
- Talking about lock-on devices – an article in ‘The Conversation’
- The Ponzi scheme is teetering
- Regenerative culture a key part of the blockade experience
- Staying sane in the late Anthropocene
- Extinction Rebellion
- Major parties have failed on climate, it’s time to rebel.
- Elections In The Late Anthropocene
- It is the Greens that are defeating the Nats and it’s all about your preferences
- Australia’s powerhouse of democracy and innovation is in the Northern Rivers
- Is identity politics a problem for the left?
- The climate emergency and the awful state of Australian politics
- Liberty, freedom and civil rights? Do any of us understand these things anymore.
- Democracy and rights under threat in corporate police state
- The forest wars are back, time to mobilise
- …more commentary
- News & Events
- Activism educator Aidan Ricketts explains how and why protests can be peaceful
- Bob Brown Is Taking “Shocking” Anti-Protest Laws To The High Court
- Anti protest laws could arrest nannas, seize tractors
- “They blinked first”
- Colin Barnett quick to protest against ‘activism degrees’ – The Australian, 16/10/2014
- ‘Degrees in activism’ put brake on growth – The Australian, 15/10/2014
- Magistrate throws out vexatious police case against CSG protesters
- Outrage over school PR ‘by stealth’- The Northern Star
- CSG clash a certainty
- Communities use new tactics
- Gas group attacks lecturer
- …more media
- Activist Resources
The newly formed CSG free Lismore action group is offering a series of activist training workshops in coming weeks to help ‘build capacity’ for local resistance to CSG mining. This Thursday night (29/3/12) the author of The Activists Handbook, Aidan Ricketts, will conduct a public workshop on strategic campaign planning for the local csg free group. In coming weeks he will also offer workshops on the techniques of non-violent direct action.
Spokesperson for the CSG free Lismore group, Simon Clough said, “We are part of a major social movement in the Northern Rivers focussed upon resisting coal seam gas activities, the community feels the government and their political leaders have failed them, and so it’s important to empower as many people as possible to make a stand for our community and for the environment, we are fortunate to have the support of educated professionals in these community education programs’.
Aidan Ricketts is a lecturer in the School of Law at Southern Cross University and community activism is his special area of academic interest. Aidan has recently released his new book ‘The Activists Handbook’ published in London and distributed globally. ‘The book has been extremely well received’, said Aidan ‘and of course the timing could not be better locally in terms of the beginnings of a major social movement against CSG’.
‘We are currently seeing the start of a mass social movement against CSG. It is a mainstream social movement that involves mothers, fathers, environmentalists, farmers, shopkeepers and Councillors. I believe the underlying motivation is to protect water, food and to prevent our magnificent rural landscape becoming an industrial mining area’, continued Aidan Ricketts.
‘Community Activism is about having a thriving democracy and the purpose of this program is to help educate the community about the most effective ways to organise themselves as well as to ensure that any protests are conducted in a non-violent and effective way’ Aidan Ricketts said.
At the workshop he will help teach the techniques of conflict mapping, the development of strategic plans and much more.
‘The CSG Free movement has to be extremely well organised to defeat the corporations wanting to exploit our area such as Shell Oil (world’s 5th largest corporation) and the Chinese Government’, said Simon Clough, spokesperson for CSG Free Lismore.
The workshop will be at the Lismore Workers Club at 6-30pm on Thursday 29th.
For more details and interviews contact Simon Clough at 0428886217
Aidan Ricketts can also be contacted here.
Tagged with: CSG-Free