- Is Australia really this conservative?
- Individualism, is it just-a consolation prize?
- Three corrupt sectors that distort our economy
- Algorithms for Change – Politics in the Pub
- Now more than ever: non-violence and positive change
- Challenging times ahead, we need to build unity in diversity
- Hung parliament: An outbreak of democracy.
- The future of Capitalism, Democracy and Activism in Australia
- Political donations the essence of corruption
- For sale: your right to protest
- NSW addicted to old habits
- Senate voting reform causes a flurry
- Prohibition, it begins and ends with violating our rights
- Roadside drug tests a big fail
- Climate change, think globally respond regionally
- People power not pollies kept us gasfield free
- The perfect storm: Shenhua and the Liverpool Plains – Mick Daley
- Sovereignty at stake in TPP
- High Noon in the Nthn Rivers: Metgasco Vs Everybody Else
- Rapid Onset Fascism
- Metgasco vs the people
- When injustice becomes the law
- Activism and social movements, an eternal part of human evolution
- Gloucester Dreaming ~ guest post by Mick Daley
- …more commentary
- News & Events
- Bob Brown Is Taking “Shocking” Anti-Protest Laws To The High Court
- Anti protest laws could arrest nannas, seize tractors
- “They blinked first”
- Colin Barnett quick to protest against ‘activism degrees’ – The Australian, 16/10/2014
- ‘Degrees in activism’ put brake on growth – The Australian, 15/10/2014
- Magistrate throws out vexatious police case against CSG protesters
- Outrage over school PR ‘by stealth’- The Northern Star
- CSG clash a certainty
- Communities use new tactics
- Gas group attacks lecturer
- …more media
- Activist Resources
The newly formed CSG free Lismore action group is offering a series of activist training workshops in coming weeks to help ‘build capacity’ for local resistance to CSG mining. This Thursday night (29/3/12) the author of The Activists Handbook, Aidan Ricketts, will conduct a public workshop on strategic campaign planning for the local csg free group. In coming weeks he will also offer workshops on the techniques of non-violent direct action.
Spokesperson for the CSG free Lismore group, Simon Clough said, “We are part of a major social movement in the Northern Rivers focussed upon resisting coal seam gas activities, the community feels the government and their political leaders have failed them, and so it’s important to empower as many people as possible to make a stand for our community and for the environment, we are fortunate to have the support of educated professionals in these community education programs’.
Aidan Ricketts is a lecturer in the School of Law at Southern Cross University and community activism is his special area of academic interest. Aidan has recently released his new book ‘The Activists Handbook’ published in London and distributed globally. ‘The book has been extremely well received’, said Aidan ‘and of course the timing could not be better locally in terms of the beginnings of a major social movement against CSG’.
‘We are currently seeing the start of a mass social movement against CSG. It is a mainstream social movement that involves mothers, fathers, environmentalists, farmers, shopkeepers and Councillors. I believe the underlying motivation is to protect water, food and to prevent our magnificent rural landscape becoming an industrial mining area’, continued Aidan Ricketts.
‘Community Activism is about having a thriving democracy and the purpose of this program is to help educate the community about the most effective ways to organise themselves as well as to ensure that any protests are conducted in a non-violent and effective way’ Aidan Ricketts said.
At the workshop he will help teach the techniques of conflict mapping, the development of strategic plans and much more.
‘The CSG Free movement has to be extremely well organised to defeat the corporations wanting to exploit our area such as Shell Oil (world’s 5th largest corporation) and the Chinese Government’, said Simon Clough, spokesperson for CSG Free Lismore.
The workshop will be at the Lismore Workers Club at 6-30pm on Thursday 29th.
For more details and interviews contact Simon Clough at 0428886217
Aidan Ricketts can also be contacted here.
Tagged with: CSG-Free