- Elections as far as the eye can see
- New Green shoots beginning to emerge
- Is Australia really this conservative?
- Individualism, is it just-a consolation prize?
- Three corrupt sectors that distort our economy
- Algorithms for Change – Politics in the Pub
- Now more than ever: non-violence and positive change
- Challenging times ahead, we need to build unity in diversity
- Hung parliament: An outbreak of democracy.
- The future of Capitalism, Democracy and Activism in Australia
- Political donations the essence of corruption
- For sale: your right to protest
- NSW addicted to old habits
- Senate voting reform causes a flurry
- Prohibition, it begins and ends with violating our rights
- Roadside drug tests a big fail
- Climate change, think globally respond regionally
- People power not pollies kept us gasfield free
- The perfect storm: Shenhua and the Liverpool Plains – Mick Daley
- Sovereignty at stake in TPP
- High Noon in the Nthn Rivers: Metgasco Vs Everybody Else
- Rapid Onset Fascism
- Metgasco vs the people
- When injustice becomes the law
- Activism and social movements, an eternal part of human evolution
- Gloucester Dreaming ~ guest post by Mick Daley
- …more commentary
- News & Events
- Bob Brown Is Taking “Shocking” Anti-Protest Laws To The High Court
- Anti protest laws could arrest nannas, seize tractors
- “They blinked first”
- Colin Barnett quick to protest against ‘activism degrees’ – The Australian, 16/10/2014
- ‘Degrees in activism’ put brake on growth – The Australian, 15/10/2014
- Magistrate throws out vexatious police case against CSG protesters
- Outrage over school PR ‘by stealth’- The Northern Star
- CSG clash a certainty
- Communities use new tactics
- Gas group attacks lecturer
- …more media
- Activist Resources
29 January 2012 http://www.huon.org/
Hi, Thanks to Huon Environment Centre for flying me down to Tassie for these workshops and thanks for keeping up the resistance to industrial logging in Tasmania. The workshops on 29 January will focus upon campaign strategy and planning in the morning and in the afternoon we will be exploring campaign sustainability and ways of avoiding individual and organisational burnout.
These workshops will employ several road-tested techniques for campaign success such as conflict mapping, whole of campaign strategic planning techniques for personal and group empowerment The workshops will be set against the background of the ongoing struggle to protect Tassie’s old growth forests and its toll on all concerned.
In the days before it was great to visit the folks at The Florentine blockade. http://stillwildstillthreatened.org/main-categories/camp-florentine
Inspiring to experience again the warmth, the stress and the camaraderie of blockade camps. Congratulations to the Florentine mob for holding the line there for so many years and incidentally for their great performances in the recent film “The Hunter”. It was on from the blockade to a rally outside parliament , with a live cross over to Miranda in the Observertree: http://observertree.org/
The workshops were a great success, not only for the training but also for the value of bringing together the various groups involved in direct action to save wild forests still threatened by rampant old growth logging and roading.
Groups represented included
Still Wild Still Threatened http://www.stillwildstillthreatened.org/
Code Green Tasmania http://codegreentas.org/
And of course our hosts the Huon Environment Centre.
It was a great opportunity for frontline activists to take some time from the day to day actions and look at the wider picture, and particularly useful to have the various groups in one place to focus on planning and survival. The Tassie forest dispute is like an old growth social movement issue in itself so it was great to focus in the workshop on the life cycle of social movements and reach some consensus about where the current direct action campaign fits within the history (on the frontline of course). It was very interesting to explore the roles played by established environment groups and the front line blockaders and activists of today.
All power to the tireless warriors of the southern forests.